Here in Brisbane we often don’t think about keeping warm in the winter until the chilly months are upon us. With a split system air conditioner, you won’t be caught unprepared during the cold snap.
Reverse cycle air conditioning is a clever little system that can be used as to cool during the summer and as a heater during the winter. It does this by extracting heat from the outside air. A refrigerant that passes through the external coil absorbs the heat and pumps it into the home. In summer, the refrigerant is reversed so that the interior can be cooled.
When considering heating choices for your home, reverse cycle air conditioning is a cost effective and efficient choice for many reasons.
A reverse cycle system cools and heats, so you don’t need to buy two separate units. Air conditioners also filter and dehumidify the air, improving the air quality within your home.
Split system air conditioners are much safer than most other forms of heating. There are no open flames, gas or exposed heating elements to worry about. The unit remains cool and because they are wall mounted, they pose no risk to small children.
Made to last
A quality air conditioning unit can last up to 20 years, or even longer if they are maintained and cared for well. Most come with a warranty.
While reverse cycle air conditioning is one of the most efficient, inexpensive ways to heat your house, you can lower your bills even more by following some or all of the following tips:
– Make a clever purchasing decision – pick a unit with a high energy efficiency rating that is not too big nor too small for your house.
– Try to keep your air conditioner at 18-20 degrees in the winter. Even turning the unit down by one degree can have significant savings.
– Install insulation in your ceilings and walls and make sure that there are no cracks or holes in your walls and fixtures.
– Heavy, lined curtains will also help to keep the heat from escaping.
– Only use the air conditioner in the areas you are using and close windows and internal doors to create a smaller space for heating.
– If you have ceiling fans, turn the unit down and use the fans to distribute the heat throughout the room.
– Maintain your system. Clean the filters regularly and hire a licensed professional for annual services. A clean, well-oiled machine runs more efficiently.
If you’d like to invest in a split system air conditioner, Brisbane’s air conditioner experts at Mercury Installations await your call.