When you think of electrical safety tips, you probably think of fallen power lines and other large-scale electrical hazards. And that’s a good thing – it is vital to stay aware of electrical hazards in all situations. But what about those electrical items that we encounter on a more day to day basis? Appliances are responsible for most of our energy consumption, and that means they are using a lot of electricity every day. If something goes wrong and the wrong wires are exposed, the consequences could be severe. That’s why we have made this list of electrical safety tips for appliances.
One of the most important electrical safety tips is don’t overload your powerpoints!
Appliances are such a big part of our every day lives that they often outnumber our power outlets! And one common solution to this is the power board. We’re talking, of course, about the board with multiple sockets that plugs into just one outlet – chances are, you have one around the house now. They are very convenient, so it’s understandable that you’d want to make the most of them. But there is a limit on how much power you can draw from out outlet. If you’re running even two power-hungry appliances from the one socket, you could cause potentially hazardous damage to that electrical system. In fact, overloaded sockets are one of the leading causes of house fires. So keep your appliance-to-outlet ratio pretty even – safety has to come first!
If your appliances have damaged power cords, our best tip is to get rid of them
We’ve all got that one old appliance at home that’s seen better days. The cord it’s a bit limp, and it’s coming apart at the plug, but it still works. Should be fine, shouldn’t it? Well, not necessarily. Damaged power cords are a big electrical safety issue, and the best tip we can give you is to get rid of it immediately. And be careful when removing it from the socket – make sure the power is turned off and never touch exposed wiring!
Does one of your appliances cause your safety switch to trip? If so, consider an upgrade
There are two reasons that an appliance might trip your safety switch. Number one, is that it draws too much power and your home electrical system can’t match its current. Number two, is that the appliance has malfunctioned. In both cases, our advice is to stop using that appliance. If it draws too much power, then it can easily overload your electrical systems and cause hazardous damage. And if it is malfunctioning, then it is already hazardous and you should upgrade to a newer and safer model.
This is one of the most important tips: leave repairs to the experts!
When it comes to electrical safety tips, no list would be complete without this one: never try and repair appliances yourself! As with all electrical work, you should leave it to the experts. Sure, you might be able to tinker with it safely while it’s unplugged from the wall. But when you plug it in it goes live, and if there’s even a slight fault, your safety is at risk.
Got an appliance that won’t reach the socket? Don’t rely on extension cords for too long
Like power boards, extension cords are one of the most convenient additions to the house. They’re simply fantastic when you need to use a corded drill or get the vacuum cleaning around the whole house in one go. But if you have to run a larger appliance, like a washing machine or dryer, for long periods of time, an extension cord is not the answer. They’re simply not equipped for long-term use. Our advice: get a new socket installed where you need it, by a licenced electrician.
Electrical safety improves with newer models: one of our best tips is to update old appliances
Finally, we’ve reached the last of our electrical safety tips: keep your appliances up to date. As technology improves, appliances are getting safer and safer. If you keep them up to date, then your chances of encountering an electrical safety issue is far lower. You’ll also use less energy and get better performance – it’s a win-win!
For more great tips, and professional electrical services, get in touch with Mercury Services today on (07) 3312 4244.